The Society's printed collection, numbering about 50,000 items,
is the most comprehensive resource in northern New England in the areas of New Hampshire and New England local
history and genealogy. Highlights of the collection include:
Our services to the public include:
- Over 5,000 genealogies, many unpublished, of New England families.
- Over 4,000 biographical works.
- About 3,000 volumes of periodicals on New England history and genealogy.
- Over 200 volumes of manuscript church records from all parts of New Hampshire.
- Compilations, mostly unpublished, of cemetery records from over 100 New Hampshire towns.
- The largest existing collection of New Hampshire newspapers from 1756 to 1900, amounting to about
- A unique card index of about 30,000 "New Hampshire notables," gathered from such sources as
biographical dictionaries, local histories, and obituaries.
- Access to the Society's printed collection, maps, broadsides, manuscripts, and ephemera through our
- Photocopies and paid research by professional staff, by mail, or fax. Photocopy charges are 35 cents
per page for nonmembers and 25 cents for members plus a service charge of
$7 for mailing or fax.
- Research time is billed at $25 an hour for members and $40 for nonmembers.
- Basic information on New Hampshire history to schoolchildren, by mail or fax, at no charge.
- A current list of professional researchers in New Hampshire, by mail, fax, or e-mail at no charge.
- Advice on care and repair of old paper items, by mail, fax, telephone, or e-mail at no charge.