Image Reproduction Policy
Thank you for your interest in using the New Hampshire Historical Society's collections. Image requests can be made through the Society's collections catalog or by contacting the New Hampshire Historical Society.
Digital Image Reproduction
The New Hampshire Historical Society provides high resolution TIFF or JPEG files to those requesting reproduction of items located in the Society's collection. Reproduction of an image does not constitute permission to publish. To publish or exhibit an image, permission must be obtained. Copyright clearance is the responsibility of the patron. The following fees apply to image reproduction:*
Items requiring special equipment to be digitized will be priced on an individual basis. Fees are subject to vary.
- $25 per image for items that have been previously digitized
- $50 per image for items that have NOT been previously digitized
*Members of the New Hampshire Historical Society receive a 10% discount.
Image Publication and Exhibition Permission
Users must obtain formal permission to publish or exhibit an image belonging to the New Hampshire Historical Society. Fees to publish or exhibit an image are separate from reproduction fees and are charged per image. Copyright clearance is the responsibility of the patron. Permission to publish or exhibit a reproduction is granted for one-time use only. In consideration for receiving permission to publish or exhibit images from the collections of the New Hampshire Historical Society the applicant agrees to the following conditions:
- Payment of all fees for any reproduction used in a publication.
- Permission is granted only for one usage in one publication and one edition.
- All images remain the property of the New Hampshire Historical Society.
- Credit line must accompany each image and read “Courtesy of the New Hampshire Historical Society.”
- The publisher or author must provide the New Hampshire Historical Society with one complete gratis copy of any publication in which the image is reproduced. If the image is to be used on a website, the publisher or author will provide a link from its website to the New Hampshire Historical Society’s website at nhhistory.org.
The following fees apply to image publication and exhibition:
(including a website)
Photocopies and Low Resolution Scans (PDFs)
Researchers may request photocopies or low resolution scans (PDFs) of items in the Society's collections. Photocopies and scans are for personal use only and cannot be reproduced. Requests can be made when visiting the Society or by contacting the staff. The following fees apply:
|8.5" x 11"
||$0.25 per page
||$0.35 per page
|8.5" x 14"
||$0.50 per page
||$0.70 per page
|11" x 17"
||$0.75 per page
||$0.95 per page
Research and shipping fees also may apply. Contact the Society's staff for further details.
The New Hampshire Historical Society reserves the right to change or modify its prices and other terms and conditions applicable to image reproduction and use.
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17) governs the making of photocopies and other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research.” If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of “fair use,” that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying or digitization order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Sarah E. Galligan
30 Park Street
Concord, NH 03301