Using the Library
New Hampshire Historical Society Currently Closed
Given the current health crisis, the New Hampshire Historical Society is closed to the public. The health and safety of our members, visitors, and staff are of paramount importance to us. We will reopen when it is safe to do so. In the meantime, please enjoy New Hampshire's history through our website, which presents the Timeline of New Hampshire History, online exhibits, digital and audio versions of Historical New Hampshire, and access to the Society’s collections through the integrated museum and library catalog. We also encourage you to contact library reference staff via our Contact Us form or email. All of us at the Society extend our best wishes for your well-being as we weather this pandemic.
When using the library, patrons are required to observe the following policies:
- Admission to the New Hampshire Historical Society is $7 for adults. Children under 18 and members of the New Hampshire Historical Society are admitted free of charge. Full-time students and active military personnel and their families also are admitted free of charge with a valid ID.
- All researchers, including members and returning researchers, must fill out a registration form upon visiting the library.
- No food or drink is allowed in the library.
- All coats, bags, umbrellas, and other personal materials must be placed in lockers or the coat room. The Society reserves the right to inspect all research materials and personal items before a researcher leaves the library.
- Requests for each book or archive collection should be made using the printed call slips. Researchers are not allowed in closed collection storage areas. Appointments may be required to view certain materials due to their condition or size.
- Library materials do not circulate. Researchers must return all materials to the library staff.
- Library staff and volunteers will complete all photocopy requests. Researchers are required to use the provided copy request forms. All copy requests are subject to library staff approval. Photocopy charges are 35 cents a page for nonmembers and 25 cents a page for members for 8" x 11" paper. The same policies and charges apply to the production of low-quality PDFs. The use of materials may be restricted by copyright, by the law, by donor, or by other restrictions.
- Researchers wishing to use hand-held cameras to make copies will be required to sign an agreement and obtain approval from the librarian on duty.
- Researchers must obtain permission to publish items from the New Hampshire Historical Society's collections, and properly cite all materials used in any publications. Please contact the librarian for more information.
- The New Hampshire Historical Society reserves the right to impose other regulations or restrictions it judges suitable in any individual situation.
Collections Access Librarian