Title: Maintenance Worker/Security Guard
Status: Part time
Reports to: Manager of Facilities & Security
The New Hampshire Historical Society seeks a part-time maintenance worker/security guard to work two weekdays per week (14 hours) and occasional Saturdays. Flexibility to work occasional evening hours a plus. Duties include routine cleaning, general maintenance of the Society’s buildings and grounds, and ensuring the protection and safety of the Society’s facilities, collections, visitors, and staff. The successful candidate will be able to interact positively with staff and the public and have knowledge of general housekeeping and basic building and equipment maintenance and repair. The position requires standing for long periods of time, climbing stairs, and ability to lift/move up to 50 pounds.
Responsibilities (duties performed under the direction and supervision of the manager of facilities and security)
- Clean all public and non-public spaces.
- Perform basic groundskeeping around the buildings.
- Perform general maintenance of buildings and grounds.
- Alert the manager of facilities and security of any building maintenance deterioration or defects.
- Set-up and clean-up for programs and events.
- Assist other staff in lifting and moving materials.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ensure the protection and safety of the Society’s facilities, collections, visitors, and staff.
- Open and close the Society’s buildings according to security policies and procedures.
- Provide a visual security presence. Conduct rounds of galleries and other public areas. Assist visitors and staff with any problems.
- Monitor galleries to ensure collections are secure and exhibition components are in proper working order.
- Conduct rounds of non-public areas to ensure security and to check that mechanical systems are functioning properly.
- Alert the manager of facilities and security and other appropriate staff of any security and/or facilities problems and concerns.
- Be familiar with and understand the Society’s Emergency Procedures Manual and carry out emergency procedures if necessary.
- Be knowledgeable in the set-up and use of audio/visual equipment.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Reliable and conscientious.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Basic knowledge of general housekeeping.
- Basic building maintenance and repair skills.
- Good customer service skills and comfortable working around people of all ages.
- The ability to use good judgment to protect the Society’s historic building and library and museum collections while working on original building materials and in close proximity to historical objects.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, climb stairs, and safely lift/move up to 50 lbs.
- Must pass a criminal background check.
About the New Hampshire Historical Society
The mission of the Society is to educate a diverse public about the significance of New Hampshire’s past and its relationship to our lives today. Founded in 1823, the New Hampshire Historical Society is the nation’s fifth-oldest statewide historical society. The Society serves thousands of children and adults each year through its museum, library, youth and adult educational programs, exhibitions, publications, and digital offerings.
How to Apply
To apply, please send resume in PDF, to Tom Chase, Manager of Facilities and Security, at email@example.com. Subject line of the email should read: Maintenance Worker/Security Guard [your last name]. For more information call Tom Chase at 603-491-3458.
PDF of Maintenance Worker/Security Guard Job Description